The social housing reform programme sits with the Ministry of Social Development. It is through this programme that community housing providers are contracted to provide affordable homes.
The key objectives of the programme are:
- ensure social housing is the right design and size, and in the right place for people who need it
- increase affordable housing supply
- ensure people who need housing support can get it and receive social services that meet their needs
- encourage and develop more diverse ownership of social housing, with more innovation and responsiveness to tenants and communities
- help social housing tenants to independence, as appropriate.
Learn about required regulations for community housing providers under this programme.