Best Practice Guide
Community Housing Aotearoa (CHA) developed a Best Practice Guide containing a set of standards for community housing organisations in 2007. These were closely based on the Australian National Community Housing Standards Manual, but made relevant to a New Zealand context. At that time the community housing sector in New Zealand was still very small and had very little recognition or support from central Government.
The purpose of the standards were to:
- support sector development
- build organisational capacity
- support and encourage continuous quality improvement
- assist in strategic and business planning
- provide a tool for organisations to benchmark their current practices against external best practice standards
- set a standard for New Zealand best practices in the community housing sector.
Given the changed policy environment in which community housing providers have operate in since 2011 the standards have been updated. The introduction of the Community Housing Regulatory Authority (CHRA), contracting with the Ministry of Social Development, and the increasing diversity of New Zealand's community housing sector, the standards contributed to this update.
The following is a copy of CHA's 2018 Best Practice Standards. They are no longer set against an accreditation scheme but have been updated to sit alongside criteria set out by CHRA to achieve registration as a class 1 social landlord so are still a very useful resource.
The document is still to be enhanced to include a resource section that providers use as guidance for building organisational capacity.
- Best Practice Standards as of March 2018: Best Practice Guide April 2018.pdf
- You can still access the 2011 standards here: BEST PRACTICE GUIDE APRIL 2011.pdf
For more resources on community housing organisational development go into our resources page here.
Information on community housing and tax status is here:
Guidance Notes and Resources - Community Housing Providers
As part of Community Housing Aotearoa (CHA) ongoing commitment to good practice and building sector capacity, we are making available these guidance notes and resources for Housing Providers. We invite your collaborative input to improve practice in New Zealand as we develop a comprehensive set of resources.
The policy documents are to be treated as one possible way of preparing your policies and procedures around a given topic, and not a definitive example of best practice. Any use of these sample policy and procedures documents should as a part of a wider review process; the documents will need to be edited to fit your organisation, its values and practices.
We welcome any feedback you might have in using these resources. Good practice varies in many of these areas depending on the community in which you work, the services provided and families served.
We welcome the opportunity to have them better represent what the housing sector is doing. You can send your feedback via our Survey email email@example.com.
Essential Health Advice and Information about Covid-19.
Community Housing Aotearoa Information, Support and Advice
- CHA contacts to request assistance, send through questions, etc.
- Any updates from CHA, links to COVID-19 newsletters etc.
Guidance for your Organisation
- Info from HUD/MSD
- Anything that relates to essential services, employment, economic relief etc
- MSD website list of social services organisations providing essential services organised by region.
- MSD has issued guidance and information for foodbanks, food rescue and other community food services operating in the COVID-19 Alert Leve 4 environment.
New Zealand Foodbanks - Essential Reading
- Providing food as an essential service.
- Guidance and information on safety.
- Civil Defence Emergency Management support for foodbanks, including recovery of costs.
- New Zealand Food Banks.
- Care and Support through COVID-19 Wecare Kiwi.