An interim KiwiBuild Unit within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment jhas been set up while the legislation to establish the Housing Commission is developed.
The KiwiBuild Unit will be responsible for:
· Building KiwiBuild homes as part of redevelopment of state housing land, alongside new state and open market homes.
· Scaling up the building of KiwiBuild homes on underutilised Crown-owned land.
· Purchasing (or underwriting) new homes off the plans in private developments.
· Investigating major greenfield and urban regeneration projects, so that they can be progressed swiftly by the Housing Commission once established.
· Working with councils, iwi and private developers.
· Exploring innovative ways to address current constraints including alternative financing options and construction practices.
“Once established, the Housing Commission will take over as the driver of the KiwiBuild programme.